Request a Consultation


Frequently Asked Questions

Can my child(ren) decide who they want to live with when they are 12 years old?

The simple answer is no; however, the older a child becomes and the more mature the child is, the more weight there is placed on what the child wants. There are different ways to assess what a child’s views and preferences are.

If I am not married, but live with my significant other do we split all of our property when we separate?

The simple answer is no; however, there are exceptions and special circumstances that would need to be considered to determine what, if any property would be divided.

Can my ex-spouse/partner make me sell our house?

If you and your ex-spouse own a property jointly, the simple answer is usually yes; however, you should seek legal advice about this as there may be other options available to resolve this issue and depending on who holds legal title to the home, the answer may vary.

What happens if my children do not want to spend time with their mother/father? Do I have to make them go?

There is no simple answer to this question. Every family is in unique circumstances and an assessment of the family’s situation would be necessary to determine the answer to this question.

How do I get legally separated?

The moment that one partner in the relationship has made it clear that the relationship is over and then continues to act in accordance with that decision a legal separation has occurred. This separation does not address the legal issues that may have arisen as a result of the separation and you may need to resolve those issues by way of a Separation Agreement or Court order.

What are my options for resolving my family law dispute with my ex-spouse/partner?

There are many options to resolve your family law disputes, including negotiation, mediation, collaborative law and arbitration. You should consult a lawyer or legal professional to discuss the options to decide what would be the best option for you and your family.