Family law matters may involve both federal and provincial legislation. In some areas of the Province there are two levels of Court that deal with family law issues; the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice and in other areas of the Province there is one Court called the Unified Family Court, which deals with all family law issues. What Court you will go to depends on where in the Province you reside and what issues you are dealing with.

While it is our goal to resolve all matters without resorting to the Courts, sometimes Court is necessary. If your former partner/spouse refuses to engage in any alternative dispute resolution methods or simply refuses to respond, the only alternative may be to proceed to Court. In some cases, you and your former spouse/partner may simply be so far apart on the outcome you are seeking that you are unable to resolve matters outside of Court and you need a Judge to decide or there may be safety concerns or urgent matters that need to be resolved as soon as possible and you need the intervention of the Court.

If litigation is necessary for your case, we have extensive experience representing clients in the Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Justice and the Unified Family Court and we will work diligently to secure the best result possible for you.

Request a Consultation